Saturday, July 16, 2005

Redirect on the House discussion

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the house search lately. I realize that one of the main reasons for me that this is a big deal is that the house represents some kind of symbol for the journey through life.

All of this is subjective thinking but nevertheless...

Each house that we have rented has represented a step in journey. The direction of those steps has felt correct, that we were headed towards a collective vision, even if it was not well articulated or spoken. Of course, sometimes it was all that. It was overt, explicit and mutually accpepted.

That direction has become muddled now. I'm not saying that you must take discreet and perfect steps toward a goal. I'm saying that you head off on a path that vaguely has you traveling, together, in a direction that you both enjoy.

It's easier to get two people to agree on something than it is to get four people to agree, generally speaking. I know that 'the townhouse' is not part of that overall direction. Hopefully it isn't too long a layover in a bad airport, if I can mix metaphors.

I think the big fear for me is to get locked into something, by way of financial leverage, that is not where we want to go. Later, there would be a continued need to service something that you know is not the the right thing. That would be a big burden for me. Maybe not for others but for me, it would be big.

2 comments:

"the favorite" said...

What are you saying? You don't want to buy a house that is a fixah uppah (said with boston accent) that is not in the location or doesn't have the floor plan you want.
That even after all the fixing is done it is still not the house you want.
But financially that is all that you can get. I totally understand.
They say prices are going to drop, just when? But the interest goes up instead.

Big Brother said...

What would this market correction look like? That's the question no one will answer. Will housing prices drop? Will they suddenly do nothing but do that for 5 years? 10 years?

And yes, if interest rates go up accordingly, the net doesn't change. (It's called NPV Net Present Value in business schools.)