Friday, July 22, 2005

Considering Leaving Microsoft

If heart surgery and the Chuck-snafu hadn't come up, I probably would be a little further along in this question. I have been relatively unhappy at Microsoft for about 3 years. Possibly longer.

When Amy asked me the last time I was really happy, I had to think a long time about it. My answer was before, during, and after our France trip. Prior to that, I couldn't say - probably the last Otis trip.

My point, and I do have one, is that my lack of happiness at work has had a considerable effect on me. I feel a bit of a failure at Microsoft too. I think quiting or getting another job would represent some sort of failure. I don't know why that bugs me so much.

Where does whining end and good sense begin? I just don't like being grumpy all the time at home and generally unhappy at work.

3 comments:

"the favorite" said...

Charlene is not happy at work. I have good days and bad that are associated with a growing small company. It stresses out the home life too because when we both come home cranky we just take it out on each other, for the most part. Char-linka had looked around alittle but most any other job is going to be more than the 10 min ride. So location is playing a big factor in her quest.

If you leave the evil empire would you all consider a move out of the state?
I suppose the kids school then becomes a big factor as well as Amy's work.

Big Brother said...

You don't have to have kids to see this point but I will illustrate in the form of being a parent.

The behavior that I want to model for my kids (but also for myself - perhaps my inner child) is a willingness to try new things and not be afraid to fail. What's so bad about thinking that there is an entire world of experiences out there to try. Of course, you will fail sometimes. Would I make fun of the kids for trying something and failing? Hell no.

Big Brother said...

Yes, I can get you some software. I don't know why but software development is full of bad practices. If I had to guess why it would be this. A lot of success with bad practices cemented in the eyes of many (of the practicitioners) some extremely bad, harmful practices.