Monday, March 28, 2005

A house is...

The commentary seems to be separate from your individual ideas about the house part of a home. It seems logical to then present a second post where comments about a home can be entered.

My thoughts: I don't like a big house. I have no designs on a "dream house." I like small but cozy. The ideas in the book The Not so Big House resonate with me.

Good
- Multi purpose space is good.
- Private places in public spaces e.g. nooks are good.
- Frank Lloyd Wright favored multiple ceiling heights. I like that idea but it is hard to find.
- Multiple level floors are a nice second choice.
- Prefer flooring (hardwood like stuff) to carpeting.
- I like built-ins in the bedrooms.
- Small yard.
- A little space between houses but definitely neighbor interaction.
- Parks and other public spaces nearby.
- Walking/running paths.
- Open plan.
- Eat in kitchen, e.g. French country style.

Bad
- Big bedrooms where you have seating areas. What is that about?
- Loud computers in public spaces - exception is the kids computers.
- Too open plan. TV needs isolation.

Optional
- Garage. However, you get one here pretty much everywhere.
- Home office for everyone. This is a big deal to some people.
- Multimedia room.

Just a few thoughts.

1 comment:

Big Brother said...

Sleep-overs are big at our house. We never had sleep-overs when I was a kid, except maybe in the tent outside. And then, only in the summer.

Having two girls in the house that you can't exactly treat like your own kids can get tiresome. And because they live nearby (a good thing), they tend to never leave (a bad thing).

That's a bigger influence in my thoughts lately than I would have thought.