Sunday, April 03, 2005

Urban area

When I say urban area, I am playing fast and loose with the term. I mean more that you live in the central village of a town or city. I mean that sort of density in contrast with more of a rural density. In our area, those two distinctions are important because it influences the way property is developed. Laws were passed to limit growth in the out-lying areas to maintain habitat for animals.

It's a good idea, I think, in theory. However it is a bit weird in practice as density takes a while to gel. We'll see.

Here's where I have lived:
Issaquah - 14 years in July. Four different houses to date.
Reading - duplex near a park - 3 years
Wilmington - detached home near train station - 2 years
Lowell - Apartment in the 'triangle' 6-7 years
Oxford - 8-9 years (if you end at Freshman year)
Worcester - 9 years

It's hard to distinguish between the urban and rural in this list but much of the adult living was more urban. Wilmington was rather rural: big yard, not a lot of contact with the neighbors, but it was where I commuted from every day to Cambridge. For me, it was much more of a urban experience day-to-day.

I loved that place. It was a great time in our lives. Good people - Glenn, Adam, Owen (our exchange student). Nice kitchen (except for carpeting). Good band - that's when I started playing in the Angry Commuters. Drum set in the basement. Weight lifting in the basement. Tunes in the house. Piano in the living room. Bike riding in the town. Basketball court nearby. Video store nearby. Friends visiting the various housemates. Keg parties in the summer. Volleyball in the backyard. Those where the halcyon days.

No comments: