Thursday, April 14, 2005

Leaving NC soon

North Carolina is a nice place. It reminds me of Vermont a bit in geography. I am in the Research Triangle, a triangle with Chapel Hill (UNC), Durham (Duke), and Raleigh (NC State) at the points. It is very much "the country." It is southern well though most of my colleagues are transplants. Not much southern accent there.

But if you get out to a restaurant or store, the accent can get pretty thick. It hasn't been a big deal at all. I am here in spring and the weather isn't much different from Seattle. It isn't very warm. I've been told that it hasn't warmed up yet and that's a bit out of the ordinary.

I am now looking forward to going home.

Work has been good but not great. I am in the throes of hating my job. Supporting this team isn't working out well. They do not seem like a collaborative type of team. Out of site (in Redmond, WA), out of mind.

The issue for me is bigger than just that. Maybe I'm having a mid-life crisis. I can't see a future at Microsoft yet feel the so-called "golden handcuffs." I'm ready to try something new but not sure what.

Any input?

NF

2 comments:

Big Brother said...

I don't think I'm looking for satisfaction from those external things.

I think my dissatisfaction is more along these lines. I look at my heart valve as a 15-20 year ticket that I punched. I don't like the idea that I spend a lot of time at a job that has crossed some kind of line. I spend 8 to 11 hours a day at work these days.

At the end of that time, I'm not particularly happy having spent so much time there.

I don't believe in afterlife. That means that life is no dress rehearsal. I better make as much out of it as I can. The idea that I steal time from my family is not appealing especially in the service of something that provides me with little more than a very nice paycheck.

I'm happy to do an honest days work for an honest days pay, but asking more than that is not the bargain I struck.

"the favorite" said...

real estate