Sunday, March 05, 2006

Therapy and me

I’ve been in therapy on and off for awhile. My most recent therapy started some time in April last year and I’m still going, with months off here and there. I like going. It has helped me a lot.

Full-disclosure: I’ve probably been depressed for 5 or 6 years. The most recent therapy has focused on dealing with my lingering anger over the Chuck snafu. Maybe you can’t imagine it but while this friend of mine hurt my family, he was still my friend. And when the whole thing unraveled and he committed suicide, it was very hard for me, though I didn’t know how hard it was.

That snafu followed on the heels of the heart surgery, a classic cause of depression. However, I think that some kind of chemical imbalance might have started in the years after Mom’s death. I guess the reason that I mention any of this is to say that maybe this has happened to you.

For me, music helps a lot with this. I’m sure there is some research on this but I know this from experience. I could always pick up my bass and affect my mood. I didn’t know how much playing the other music was helping me. Re-engaging the tuba and other kinds of musical experiences has been a bit of an “ah-ha” moment. (insert oom-pah joke here)

Also, writing has been good.

No comments: