Saturday, March 11, 2006

Genealogy

Welcome to Cha-linka. You can't really spell her name without a couple clicks in the middle that are very hard to spell in English.

We have friends out here in the KC who are Canadian and very into genealogy. Turns out, if you they have a French last name in the New World, there is a good chance they are a cousin in some way. A relatively small number of French people immigrated to the New World.

I've had a passing interest in geneaology, but it has been stoked a bit. Two things I've learned recently. Grandma's line is much easier to trace. And the Sullivan line to Ireland is fairly direct to Killarney. Yes, it sounds like a made up place but it isn't.

As for all those people who talk smack about their ancestors and the Mayflower or Daughters and Sons of the Revolution, you have to go back 12 generations (late 1600s - early 1700s) from what I can see to trace back the Old World. I haven't figured out how to integrate some of this information into anything useful but a cursory glance confirms the suspicion that many of the ancestors did come from Normandy, Brittany and the Loire valley. I'll post the info at some point.

3 comments:

Big Brother said...

Yes. The KC is King County, Home of Seattle, Issquah and the unincorporated hell hole in which we live a.k.a. Klahanie.

Because of the influx of Californians, there is a habit to speak of things, often tongue-in-cheek, with Cali-slang. You don't call it I5 or I405, you call The 5, or The 405, bro. And, dude, though this has spread everywhere, you say dude all the time. I heard a funny piece about it.

Forget The OC, it's The KC that's the Mack Daddy, now, Yo! WES COAS!!

Seriously, check out this wickedly funny piece here:http://jmbalaya.livejournal.com/1575.html

Big Brother said...

Posted by Big Brother for Cornet.

Big Brother thanks for forwarding. It has brightened my day.

I think this was posted by 'moi'. (I am still not into that blog thing but am glad to see that she has made the venture.

Which reminds me of another recollection of Gram being that could not remember the name 'computer' but new they were useful to some people, that magic box or something.)

Great recollections! Thanks for posting them.

I too like the sound of the name Chlorys? but don't like the spelling. I did want it in the name of my first daughter but Tricia and I decided on a different name but same family. I do believe that she kept in contact with the Maine folk but I get them confused with the Fish & Chip store owners who I think she also corresponded with.

Tricia and I have adopted the (Tu m'enerves! ) expression and butchered it telling the kids to settle down " your making me nervy, me nervy!"' or some version.

I especially like the last recollection and agree. She could be stern but also so warm, tender, and affectionate.

From 'moi':
She called it “that (crazy) machine that’s like a typewriter that does all the thinking for you.” I used that example in school for circumlocution, an important language skill.

"the favorite" said...

I recently had a little gramma moment. Not only did she enjoy getting fish and chips on fridays, but she would occasionaly greet me at the door and ask if I wanted a cheeseburger, her treat. I would go to her perfered spot, Burger King. Get us a couple of cheeseburgers and fries and have dinner. Which, of course, included some of the many stories of "menerve" or the mean nuns eating her cookies.

fish and chips $7.50
cheeseburger and fries $5.75
spending time with GiGI priceless